Join Today
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    got a 2007 gl1800 trike , wobble was bad . had dealer install all balls bearings in neck . solved the problem . wobble all gone. honda used caged balls in neck big mistake. i am very happy with the ride now...

I just bought a 2009 Wing. Noticed a wobble in the 35 MPH range when I removed one hand from the handlebars. Glad to see that it's not just my bike.....

Just purchased a 98 1500 trike love it . But it has a wobble about 50 mph.the last owner put on a new front tire but was told to mount it with the arrow facing backwards. We are new to the wing is this normal? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Calvin17 View Post
    Just purchased a 98 1500 trike love it . But it has a wobble about 50 mph.the last owner put on a new front tire but was told to mount it with the arrow facing backwards. We are new to the wing is this normal? Thanks
    Mine isn't a trike. I haven't heard of anyone recommending mounting a tire backwards. I have heard that a Lot of trike owners go with the BT45 rear tire on the front because it fits and it has a harder rubber compound in the center and softer on the sides. I have one on mine in an attempt to get better than 10K miles out of it. Because I don't drive on the highway and most of the roads are curvy, I'm getting more wear on the outside than the center. Go figure....

Wobble can also be attributed to uneven tire wear which, in many cases, is due to low tire pressure. On a Trike though.... If the tire looks evenly worn, it wouldn't hurt to look at the steering head bearings and go over it thoroughly. They might be loose, you could have something bent. Never know with an older machine.

My 2005 that I bought in 2011 w/ 16k miles on her now has 59k and had the low speed wobble. That is until I ungraded the suspension last year

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I did replace tires after they were worn and noted the wobble since new, New tires and balancing will not fix the wobble (the hands off the bars wobble and no you aren't supposed to do that) I put about 18K on my bike from new and simply did not care for the soft and not so great suspension / easy to bottom it out, slow steering response and the wobble, after looking into options I went with the Traxxion Full Monte (the only thing I did not add was the fork brace advised that it is not necessary with the full monte) it seemed a tad stiff at first (some complain and request a lighter spring for the rear shock) but after a year of riding it has settled in nicely and the Traxxion team really did set me up with correct spring weight selections, This is now a giant sport bike that I ride with total confidence, rarely use the rear preload now, Tire wear is now much better (no cupping) stupid wobble is gone, have never heard of anyone including myself that the traxxion system was not a good investment, I love it and would do it again and yes its expensive but so was the bike.
    You could just wait to see how good the 2018/19 wing is but in my experience the first year of any all new bike makes you the test dummy ? I hope it is as good as it looks

For those who want to know a little more about wobble, I suggest that you watch this video clip:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvsDIq3WwVA

It is old, but Physics haven't changed. All bikes will wobble at low speed if hands are removed from the handlebars. It may be the case that a new set of steering head bearings, torqued a little tighter, stop the problem from manifesting itself, but the problem is still present. It isn't a characteristic of the Goldwing, out of balance tires, so just keep your hands on the handlebars and it will not happen.

I have never had a problem on any bike with high speed weave, but I think that is completely down to the number of pies I have consumed in the course of my life.