Join Today
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

HID true Xenon headlamps retrofit- DDM Tuning

Anyone besides me wanting to improve their visibility at night & ability to be seen during the day should consider DDM Tunings HID kit for a GL1800 (H7 lamp?), Sold in kits w/ a small thin, rectangular ballast, they easily fit into the fairings. I replaced the low beams only w/ 55W/ 5000K color temp & the difference is staggering!! The 5k is closer to daylight color & the improvement in seeing objects & farther at night is unsurpassed, all for only $55 (for a pair). The install required some patience & dexterity, but smaller hands can install w/o taking the fairing, etc apart.

Check them out http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/DD...rcycle-HID-Kit
    Best rgds,
    :wolf: Coyote79

Re: HID true Xenon headlamps retrofit- DDM Tuning

I posted in the GL1500 section a pictorial of the installation of the DDM Tuning lights on my bike. I love the lights.

Rich

I installed the 4000k 35 watt DDM HID kit on my GL1800 and although I do like the brighter lights, I have to admit that I am disappointed with lights! First, It took about six weeks to receive my order which came from China. Secondly, their was no adapter for the hid light bulbs that fit, they had to be modified. Thirdly, after approximately 2 to 3 hours of operation, I noticed the reflector in the light housing appeard to be "burning" as it has discolored the reflector and has a "chard" look now. Fourthly, Although there is a nice glow at night on street signs, the main light seems to be pointing pretty much straight down about six to eight feet in front of the bike. I've made every adjustment that I can with no better results. They're coming off as soon as the "replacement" headlight assembly's gets here!!! Good luck if you choose to do it...

I have DDM 55 Watts on my lows, 35 watts on my highs, 35 watts on my fogs and LED whith that turns yellow on flach in the indicators

deputydawg

[quote author=Readyt link=topic=121.msg4324#msg4324 date=1342153620]
    I have DDM 55 Watts on my lows, 35 watts on my highs, 35 watts on my fogs and LED whith that turns yellow on flach in the indicators
    [/quote]
    Did you mean what you typed??? You have higher wattage in the low beams, than in the high beams?????
    I worked at a GM division that provided all the exterior lighting for GM vehicles! Got a lot of exposure to forward lighting and "lived through" the transitions from sealed beams to composites w/halogen to the development of HID lighting and projector beams along the way.
    I wish I could "see" a photometric study of the Wings headlights w/these kits installed in lower and upper beam positions.
    Some times what our eyes perceive as more or brighter light actually does not provide any improvement and sometimes lowers the performance within the range of the area required to be illuminated by FMVSS requirements.(Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards-paragraph 108.)
    One must also be very careful as to the amount of heat introduced into the lamp vs. what the lamp was designed for! A post above already alluded to this. The first thing that happens, with excessive heat is a discoloration begins in the reflector surface of the lamp housing, just above the bulb. This may progress to actual destruction of a major area of the reflector surface rendering the lamp almost useless for reflecting the require light pattern "down the road".
    I have reviewed heat tested lamps in which the base material the housing were made of (usually high heat polycarbonate) has deformed/melted and in some cases actually ignited!
    I'm sure there has been improvements in the design of these HID kits, since my involvement, as witnessed by the reduction in the size of the required ballast to ignite the HID bulbs.
    One other item of note-every time the HID bulbs are ignited, they lose a minute amount of performance. This is one of the reason they are seldom used in the high beam position, along with the ignition time delay from instant on.

Would you please post all of the parts required for this installation listed in DDM site?
    GL1200A,1985-GL1800,2002