Join Today
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

02 GL1800 Right Knock Sensor

FI light and Service Manual consistently indicate that I have a bad right knock sensor. Based on the troubleshooting provided in the service manual, my ECM and wiring appear good. I spent probably an hour fishing out the connectors for the sensor and it does not appear to be any real easy way to remove the sensor.

Tips and suggestions for replacement??

So that I'm on the same page, the Right Knock sensor is orientated to the seating position of the driver, correct??

Re: 02 GL1800 Right Knock Sensor

I had the same problem with my 01. I trouble shot everything per shop manual and even swaped left to right sensors and still got the same problem. I purchased a new ECM from HDL and it corrected the problem. It was pricey but problem solved. I hope this helped.

Ride On
    Keep The Rubberside Down.

Crap, I sure as heck hope I don't have to replace the ECM..... I have a new knock sensor on order... Just waiting for it to get halfway around the world now.

Did you have to pull any extra parts off in order to get to the sensors? There is a support bracket that appears to be in the way of a direct path to remove. I haven't actually put a wrench on it, but I guess I could since it is parked semi-permanently for the meantime

You should be able to get it out with out a lot of problems. Remove front lower cowl and right side lower.

Ok, so it looked harder than I thought it was. Managed to swap it out after running to the store to get a large deep well socket. Resources are limited in Guam and wound up getting a 15/16th inch impact socket instead of the 24mm because thats all that they had. Seriously, I have a ton of tools and I still needed to run and get a new one With the tight fit, I wound up having to remove the horn on that side. Aside from that, it was pretty much a straight shot to replace.

Tip for the future: A 16mm socket fits perfectly on the connector end to act as a starter so it could be lined up to thread it in and then use the 15/16th inch socket to snug it down.

Running like a Champ now!!

Thank you all for your support!! 8)

I have a knock sensor code. Please tell me what the knock sensor looks like. I believe it is under the engine. I have all plastic out of the way and see a wire connector attached to something screwed into the head. Is this it? Can't find any pics anywhere. I don't want to wrangle with something that is not my intended problem.

02 GL1800 Right Knock Sensor

Quote Originally Posted by rabbitrandy View Post
    I have a knock sensor code. Please tell me what the knock sensor looks like. I believe it is under the engine. I have all plastic out of the way and see a wire connector attached to something screwed into the head. Is this it? Can't find any pics anywhere. I don't want to wrangle with something that is not my intended problem.
    I removed the lower front cowl, the lower body work on both sides by the rear brake pedal on the right and by the shifter on the left (3 bolts per side (10mm)

I removed the horns on each side to give me a bit more room (12mm)

Look in the area where the front of your front crash bar mounts to the frame. Tight space and difficult to see. Also there is a blue wire inside a black protection sleeve leading to it. (My year is a 2005) You will need a deep well 24mm and a swivel (probably can do w/out swivel) . Remove connector from sensor and use socket to remove sensor

Iím not any kind of certified technician, but Techdude2000 knows his stuff as well as GoldwingrGreg. I recently had a left knock sensor code and they recommended to me to swap the sensors from left to right and right to left . Then see if get same code or the opposite code. In your case the opposite code is a 26. If you get a 26 then the sensor is bad . If you would still get a 25 code itís your ECM. I swapped mine Sunday but was not able to ride to trip code, running bike in my garage for 10 minutes it wouldnít trip the FI light. Apparently the ECM is the more common culprit. At least in the case of my 26 code.

Here is what it looks like, but you wonít be able to tell until you have it removed from the bike

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Cajunhog; 08-21-2018 at 11:53 AM.