Join Today
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

02 1800 Radio / CB won't work with headsets

Just bought this bike last week. The radio and the cb work fine with the speakers but will not work threw the headsets.

I've tried both the front and rear headset connectors on the bike. 3 differn't helmets 4 differn't lower 5 pin cords. All these headsets worked on my BMW when used with a 6 pin lower cord.

The radio will be working fine threw the speakers then if I push the audio button to switch to a headset the display changes to a headphone symbol but no sound comes out of the headset that I have plugged in. I get the same results with the cb button.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Does the intercom work? if you turn it on you should be able to hear yourself
    Pete
    www.BIKEMP3.com

"What is now proved was once only imagined."
    [COLOR=#000000]William Blake

No I don't think anything is audible from the intercom. I get nothing in the headset from radio, cb or intercom.

So then your options are

Bad Headset/cable to qualify try on another GL1800

Headset pigtails under the fairing/seat are unplugged or the connectors are worn (Unusual for both)

Headset amplifier IC is blown in the audio unit

Start with another GL1800
    Pete
    www.BIKEMP3.com

"What is now proved was once only imagined."
    [COLOR=#000000]William Blake

Thanks I will try checking my cords / headset on another GL1800

HAve you read the owners manual? It will inform you of the all the options of your bike -enjoy

Yup I sat down and read the owners manual. Changed all the setting for the intercom , radio, cb with no change. The headsets and radio are still silent when switched to headset.

Thanks

You said they worked on a BMW- Are you using a lower cord from BMW as well -That may be the issue - I use a ZB lower 5 pin cord to connect to my J&M headsets - You may want to contact J&M for Suggestions on compatibilty of the BMW setup- Just a thought

I have to use a Different 5 pin lower cord on my HD to use the same speakers in my helmet
    Last edited by Westdc; 10-14-2014 at 03:13 PM.

I'm not sure on the mike mutes, have to look that one up. Is it mike mute on the J+M passenger controller? To allow turning off the passenger mike for wind noise in the intercome? No passenger controller on the bike yet, only a driver and passenger cable to plug in the helmets.
    Headsets:
    I have a Noland Helmet with a J+M Elite series headset. 2 lower 5 pin cords HC-ZB, one of these cords came with the bike.
    I have a Shoei Helmet with a J+M Performance headset. I ordered a new lower cord HC-PB from J+M.
    Both these headset work on my BMW with a 6 pin lower cord.
    Thanks

I rode the bike back to the dealer that I bought it from today. The service manager tried his test speaker and it didn't work.
    Tried my helmet headset on a new wing and it worked fine. So they want it back for a few days to pull it apart and check it out.
    Now my choice is take it back to this dealer and let them work on it for $85.00 per hour.
    Or do I tear it apart myself this winter. I found a repair shop that will repair and upgrade the radio amplifiers for $180.00.
    I'm thinking of doing it myself as there are other things I could do when the top shelter is off. Good time to do the air filter, cruise adjustment , run aux power etc.