Join Today
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Battery

I had an older 1100 , 83 wing years ago. It had the same problem, but just riding it for the summer drained the electrolyte down in one summer. I only use glass-matt batteries now. No electrolyte to loose. It (1100) also had a battery drain on it. I was told by many that where the stator connections came out of the top of the engine the connections get some corrosion, and must be cleaned, or a direct connection, And it would fix the problem. I just sold the bike, (told the new owner of the problem) and got an 89 1500 wing. A smart charger is a god investment. Hope this helps, or gives more to consider.

If there is a drain of the battery while sitting (Not running) a more expensive battery will not help. The way to test for a drain on a battery with a bike, or any other. Disconnect the negative cable to the battery, and connect a volt meter to the cable that is off, and the battery. read the meter. The reading should not be more than tenth of an amp. (the less the better) More than that there is a drain to the battery beyond the memory function of the radio and clock.

I just heard of the Lithium-ion battery today. I hear they last for 15 years. That will make it worth it, but it may need a special charger, and the charging system on the bike MAY be too heavy for it as well. I agree, if you are just now having trouble with the battery after 10-11 years? That is great. Most cars don't get that. Amd the price for batteries took a big jump a few years ago. Hard to find one for the wing under $80. or $100.

One of the constraints on Li battery tech is not taking a charge when temps are around freezing. This is why Tesla and others have heater technology built in to keep the battery at a specific temp range.

Ken (IBA #50030) Tucson, AZ"Get busy living, or get busy dying." -Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption 1994ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕMy blog