Join Today
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

My Upcoming Trip

At the end of May I and one of my friends will be going on a two week, 2,600 mile trip. I just thought Iíd share with you the itineracy Iíve worked out. As with any multi-day trip this is not written in stone. Changes always seem to happen because of weather, time or attitude. However, this is what we have planned. When I get home Iíll post a link to the pictures Iíve taken.

As you can see from my map I need 10 states to be in all of them three times. This trip will let me pick up 5 of them.

Antietam Military Park Sharpsburg, MD
    Harley Davidson Museum York, PA
    Shoe House York, PA
    Gettysburg Museum Gettsburg, PA
    National Civil War Museum Harrisburg, PA
    The Hershey Story Hershey, PA
    Intercourse Pretzel Factory Gordonville, PA
    America On Wheels Allentown, PA
    Martin Guitar Nazareth, PA
    National Baseball Hall of Fame Cooperstown, NY
    Howe Caverns Howes Cave, NY
    Americade Queensbury, NY
    Adirondack Museum Indian Lake, NY
    Fort Ticonderoga (furthest point) Ticonderoga Twn, NY
    American Precision Museum Windsor Twn, VE
    Salem Witch Museum Salem, MA
    Lexington bridge Lexington, MA
    Pez Manufacturing Orange Twn, CN
    Motorcycle Pedia Newburgh, NY
    West Point Military Museum*** Highland Falls, NY
    Ground Zero Ny, NY
    Statue of Liberty-New York Access**** NY, NY
    George Washington National Park Washington Crossing, PA
    Valley Forge King of Prussia, PA
    US Mint** - Independence Hall Philadelphia, PA
    Washington DC Washington, DC
    Fredericksburg Battlefield Fredericksburg, VA
    Chancellorsville Fredericksburg, VA
    Home Knoxville TN
    [INDENT]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/INDENT]

Wow, that looks like a fun trip. Just curious that you have several locations identified with ****? Do you expect them to be difficult to get into or what? I don't know how much time you have for this trip but you could easily spend a week in Philadelphia or Washington just at the Smithsonian.

I spent a day in Cooperstown at the Baseball Hall of Fame and never made it to the museum about the writer James F. Cooper. You should have a great trip!

I'm jealous!

I forgot to take out the ***** marks. It was for notes to myself like 'no guns allowed' or military reservation, photo opportunity only, etc.

As a history major I fully realize that there are tons more places in the NE to go. This is my 3rd big trip up there and many of them I've already seen. However the guy I'm going with has not been up there so it's all new to him. Have to put some restrections on stops or the trip will go from 2 weeks to 4 in a hurry.

This is the reason I bought a 'touring' motorcycle.
    [INDENT]

Two suugestions since you are going to go right by them and they both were very important historically. The first is Harpers Ferry, site of John Browns raid and also a USA Armory. It is also just a neat little town to visit and get lunch.

The second is the Battle of Bull Run the beginning of the war and there is a nice road you can ride around parts or the battlefield.

It seems that Harpers Ferry is on your way north and Bull Run is on your way back to TN.

Purely from a study of history I would also have to do the Freedom Tour of Boston. I think you can do it on Segways now instead of just walking. A lot of history took place along that tour from a tea party to Bunker or Breeds Hill.

As I said, because of time restraints some great places has to be left out. My son's in-laws live in Boston and I've been there a couple of times. They drive like crazy people. I've also been to Bull Run and Harpers Ferry. Just not enough time to see everything.

Thanks for the suggestions. It's always nice to know of things you should see, even if you can't get to them.
    [INDENT]

If you're into history.
    Of all Gettysburg is a don't miss. View Devil's Den from Little Round Top and get chills. The sloping up hill with a wall on top of Lee's charge makes you wonder wtf.

Harpers Ferry area is very scenic and you can see the old armory.

Salem don't bother.

York HD plant is good at at open house.
    Last edited by Flintlock; 05-12-2015 at 08:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Flintlock View Post
    If you're into history.
    Of all Gettysburg is a don't miss. View Devil's Den from Little Round Top and get chills. The sloping up hill with a wall on top of Lee's charge makes you wonder wtf.

Harpers Ferry area is very scenic and you can see the old armory.

Salem don't bother.

York HD plant is good at at open house.
    yeah, i me too thought that.