Join Today
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Major pre-trip maintenance

Scheduling a 8-10,000 mile ride in the spring. Already planning on changing fluids (oil, brakes, coolant, rear end), new tires (going to try out the ME-888's), air filter and clean some switches. The bike is a 2008 level 4 with 40K miles. Are there other items that I should plan on checking to "ensure" a trouble-free trip?

Quote Originally Posted by Scooby View Post
    Scheduling a 8-10,000 mile ride in the spring. Already planning on changing fluids (oil, brakes, coolant, rear end), new tires (going to try out the ME-888's), air filter and clean some switches. The bike is a 2008 level 4 with 40K miles. Are there other items that I should plan on checking to "ensure" a trouble-free trip?
    Although not mentioned, i'm assuming that you're doing the clutch fluid also. How old is your battery?

Just a suggestion, try to complete the maintenance a few hundered miles of riding before you leave on the trip. If something is not right or out of adjustment and you start out then time is lost fixing it. (like forgetting to hook up antennae when replacing the top shelter.)

Don't forget your cellphone and credit card when you do leave home and have fun!

Yes, I'll be doing the clutch as well. Battery is about 2 years old (voltmeter also installed). Maintenance will be completed about a month beforehand.
    Will have a few cards, cash and roadside assistance coverage too.

One more thing to consider. COMMUNICATIONS!

If you break down and don't have any cell coverage, so much for roadside assistance.

If you fall down and break your smart phone, even cell coverage won't help.

A satellite phone will help, providing you are not injured and still able to use it.

A Global Satellite GPS Messenger (not cell tower dependent) worked for me.
    I have traveled the lower 48 and parts of Canada having four daughters monitoring my travels.
    Twice (due to my mistake) i received a text message because my position hadn't changed in 4 hours.

Have fun and enjoy your trip. A motorcycle is a wonderful way to tour our beautiful country.

Have a SPOT tracker and will be traveling with 3+ others.

In your group y'all should compare tools and be sure they are on hand for road side repairs on the bikes and any trailers. Consider what your roadside assistance/tow plan covers (SPOT has one that seems worth it). Arm yourself with plenty of emergency lighting should you be stuck on a narrow shoulder at night. At least one spare headlight, turn and tail light bulb!
    Tom, in Mountain Home, Idaho
    2002 GL1800 (Illusion Red) Non-ABS, 111k miles
    Retired Air Force

"Audentes Fortuna Juvat"

Quote Originally Posted by pastot View Post
    In your group y'all should compare tools and be sure they are on hand for road side repairs on the bikes and any trailers. Consider what your roadside assistance/tow plan covers (SPOT has one that seems worth it). Arm yourself with plenty of emergency lighting should you be stuck on a narrow shoulder at night. At least one spare headlight, turn and tail light bulb!
    For lights you might consider getting one of those lights that you wear on your forehead. Great at night to help see what you are working on.

I would consider a battery jump starter. The new ones are small and relatively inexpensive. I also carry a VOM (volt/ohm meter). They are very handy in looking for electrical problems.
    [INDENT]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/INDENT]

You're probably on the road or worse on hold for weather but Burtsr has a great point on the battery jump system. I carry an Anti-Gravity battery and it is great for jumping your bike if needed and has connections to support powering a tablet, cell phone, I-anything and includes a built in LED light. I've jumped cars and trucks with mine and supported charging my Cell phone and running my Tablet for about 5 hours during a power outage last year. I've only killed my battery one time on the road and push starting was my fortunate option in a down hill run across the parking lot; I was lucky then.
    Tom, in Mountain Home, Idaho
    2002 GL1800 (Illusion Red) Non-ABS, 111k miles
    Retired Air Force

"Audentes Fortuna Juvat"