Join Today
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Front end wobble

I just purchased my dream bike, 2015 Wing. I have not picked it up yet but have been reading more and more forums about a front end wobble at 30-40mph. Has anyone experienced this? Other GL owners talk about spending $3K on new front suspension to fix this, to having to change the tires. Is this really happening on new wings? I hope I have not made a mistake in my new purchase!

JCB, as far as I am concerned............ there is NO front end wobble. Now.... many will disagree but here are my thoughts on the whole subject matter. If the tire is mounted and balanced properly and it is not a worn out tire, then no wobble with hands ON both grips. Take your hands off and there could be a minimal drift, usually to the right. I have owned several Wings since '94 and never encountered any wobble.

Some mount a fork brace for added piece of mind and stability. My brother did have some minimal wobble in his new Wing a few years ago. Realized the dealer, or whoever, did not mount the front tire correctly. There is a mark on the tire that is to be aligned with the valve stem, then the tire balanced, his was not. Had them remount the tire and balance again and the minimal wobble he had was gone. Tread wear on the front will probably cause a little funny feel and you might classify that as "wobble".

Don't worry about your purchase, the Wing is a fantastic bike and rock solid on the road. Enjoy it and don't fret. 8-)
    Retired Fort Worth Fireman
    SS1000 - 2007
    DFW Freedom Riders at
    [url]http://dfwfreedomriders.org/[/url]

Here's my experience:

I'll disagree, somewhat, with the lack of wobble. No, it doesn't wobble with both or one hand on the handlebars. Yes, it does, at low speeds, with both your hands off of the handlebars. It's never recommended to take both hands off of the handlebars, but I found myself doing whatever, felt safe and did it from time to time. Maybe I was popping the recliner, puffing on my cigarette, or answering my cel phone, I don't recall. I haven't done it in years because I moved to an area where I'm doing more twisties than driving in a straight line at low speeds (35-45Mph).

The cure, for me, was a replacement set of "All Balls" tapered bearings on the head set. I had tried the fork brace with no change in symptoms, although, I did it more out of the ratty roads I was driving on were a patchwork of pothole repairs and wanted more stability.

In summary, Wobble = Yes, if you're not driving it safely. No, if you're keeping at least one hand on the handlebars.

As stated above, don't worry about your purchase. Just drive it safely and if you're inclined to pull both hands off of the handlebars at low speeds, just be aware that the wobble may exist. If you find yourself doing it a lot, I would start with upgrading the head set bearings. Best thing to do is to keep at least one hand on the handlebars at all times.

See next post
    Last edited by cihilb; 03-25-2017 at 05:19 PM.
    2012 Pearl White

Seems to be inherent to all big touring bikes. Lots of ways to try and eliminate it it, but trial and error. Read this: From a Harley forum

2010 Limited Front End Wobble

Have noticed big time front end wobble when doing thirty to forty mph when I take both hands off grips...higher speeds no problem. Rode a friends 2010 Limited the other day and noticed the same wobble at those speeds...was just wondering if this common for the Ultra's??? Appreciate any feed back...thanks
    2012 Pearl White

I have a 2015 and never noticed a wobble of any kind when my front end was stock. Just make sure your tire pressures are up to spec.

My first 1800 was an 03. It had the deceleration wobble. The bike I have now had the deceleration wobble too. You don't have to spend the 3K and have it Traxioned. With both my bikes I installed Progressive fork springs and installed tapered All Balls steering stem bearings. I could if I wanted, let go of the handle bars at 60MPH and ride it till it fell over and it would not wobble. Some say it is just masking the problem...I don't know....I just know it is gone. As some always say "don't let go of the handle bars". (That's what my Dealer said) I told him...If you had spent 25K on a new car and the car dealer said that to you. What would you tell him?? LOL He didn't want to talk about it again.

Also the fork springs in the GL1800 are junk. They usually start to sag between 10-20K. Some people just don't know enough to detect it. If I ever buy another new one I will overhaul the front end ASAP.
    Darksider #1255
    yokohama tires avid envigor 195/55r16
    Leader of the first Darkside ride-in[IMG]https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTPMOc5Xj5qJhlE9raMDNaHC8QDU--mbyBHOutsJDNGA3zWPKC9uQ[/IMG]
    #3 Rail agitator

Quote Originally Posted by wingmand05 View Post
    I have a 2015 and this is good never noticed a wobble of any kind when my front end was stock. Just make sure your tire pressures are up to spec.
    It's a pretty common issue. Mine wobbles like this too.
    Last edited by Smail; 09-12-2017 at 10:32 AM.

I have an 08 GL1800 with comfort package and I have no wobble. I purchased the bike in 2010 with 2700 miles on the odometer and have had no problems. Preparing to ride the Blue Ridge Parkway again next month from Cherokee, N C to Front Royal, Va. We did that ride about 3 yrs ago and really enjoyed it. I'm 5'8" and nearly 71 yrs of age and have no complaints with my Wing. My wife rides with me and we always pull a Starlite trailer.

Hey jcb,
    I had a 2004 no wobble with new front tire and after a short while just a little wobble. Our 2007 had the wobble from day one tires did not matter so I did the all balls swap and have never had another wobble. So there you go. Just my two cents worth.