Join Today
Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Contact cleaner

Contact cleaner

Can anyone tell me if it's ok to spray some good quality contact cleaner into all the switches, ie: cruise, signals, start button etc.
    They're all working fine, just want to keep it that way?

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

It's 1997 1500 se....

Use contact cleaner on my Wing(s) switches for years. No issues here. Sure cleans the gunk off of them. Although, I can't remember if I used it on my '94 1500, too far back to remember, but I see no reason why it would be any different.
    Retired Fort Worth Fireman
    SS1000 - 2007
    DFW Freedom Riders at
    [url]http://dfwfreedomriders.org/[/url]

Ya, I thought with the extension on the spray can I could probably get in behind the switches, which is, I'm assuming, where you want it?

Sounds like you traded the old 1500 in eons ago on a 1800?

Yeah, there is no direct way to spray on the switches unless you take the cluster apart and I would NOT advise that. Too many little springs and parts that like to fly off in to the netherworld. I have had many a switch that would start acting up and would spray WD40 in there. That would help, but then I find out that WD40 will actually attract lots of dust particles. So it ends up being an endless cycle. Started using the contact cleaner/brake cleaner and seems to work much better. Just look for any slit, little hole in the cluster and spray with short squirts. Cover painted surfaces to protect them.

The 1500 I had for a few years and sold it as I could not, at the time, ride like I wanted too. Meaning taking nice trips and such. Then in 2004 I bought my first 1800, second in 2010 when I retired and bought a '16 Wing one year ago. All new and all ran great with no issues. The 2010 had 124,000 miles on it when I sold it and still ran like a top. The difference in ride between a 1500 and 1800 is tremendous, mostly because of the frame/swingarm build and engine. However, the 1500 was a fantastic ride too and I still see many out on the road with very happy owners. Enjoy your ride and be safe.
    Retired Fort Worth Fireman
    SS1000 - 2007
    DFW Freedom Riders at
    [url]http://dfwfreedomriders.org/[/url]

Thanks for the info, I'm kind of a newbie to this site, but old to biking, and I must say what a fantastic place this is to get information on motorcycles! Or just about any subject, if you look around.
    I sat on a 1800 a few weeks back in a show room and your right about the difference, it felt so much more nimble than my 1500, I could only imagine the difference once I took it out on the road!

CRC, available at most auto parts stores. Doesn't much get into the switches as said, but does hose the grit and grime out of the mechanical parts with out attracting more a block down the road. Some of our switches are just too shielded inside the housing to actually clean out without disassembly. Still I try to spray around the switch mechanics in every direction and all of them on my 02 work well. I carry a small can of CRC in my tool bag.
    Tom, in Mountain Home, Idaho
    2002 GL1800 (Illusion Red) Non-ABS, 122k miles
    Retired Air Force

"Audentes Fortuna Juvat"

Thanks, I bought some, but can't recall the brand, but my local auto parts store assured me that it was the best, switches seem to work better now, the signal switch was a bit sticky.

Signal switch is my bain of existence, the slot allows a lot of dust and grit access inside to mess things up. Mine gets this scratchy gritty feeling too often. I'm thinking compressed air can and try to blow out that which is blown in...

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
    Tom, in Mountain Home, Idaho
    2002 GL1800 (Illusion Red) Non-ABS, 122k miles
    Retired Air Force

"Audentes Fortuna Juvat"