Join Today
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Headlights are out and it has me thinking....

So I haven't done the research, and I've gotten 2 of the different relays available for a 2002 model. I think it's a relay.... I'll break out the tech manual and pull off the seat to troubleshoot it... but it has me thinking... does the drag from the alternator affect the fuel economy of these beasts. I've gotten no better than 35Mpg for the 15 years that I've owned it and I can hear the engine bog down, ever so slightly, when I put on the brakes; and that's only the brake lights. I've been running with only the fog lights for a couple days and I believe I'm getting a tad better fuel economy. I don't have definitive proof yet. The question is, if I put LED headlights on the Baego, might I expect a couple of miles per gallon better fuel economy? In conjunction, has anyone gotten better fuel economy by switching to all LED lights?? Just a thought. Don't blast me because this is one of the biggest and baddest motorcycles on the road

Took a hot minute to look at the wiring diagram and the troubleshooting guidance in the frontmatter of the electrical section. It turns out that there's something to the tune of a relay disconnect on the starter switch which de-energizes the headlight relay when the starter button is pressed. Flicking the starter switch a couple of times while it was running turned on the headlights. This doesn't mean that the relay isn't bad, but I can get get the lights to turn on eventually now. Just another thing to add to the list of things to troubleshoot. I have a suspicion that it's going to be the starter switch. Either way I have spare relays on hand

Still have the one unanswered question about the possibility of increased fuel economy with less drag on the alternator???

My new wing did the same thing. Sprayed some contact cleaner in there and worked the switch. No more issues since then and that was 3 mos. ago.
    Retired Fort Worth Fireman
    SS1000 - 2007
    DFW Freedom Riders at
    [url]http://dfwfreedomriders.org/[/url]

I flicked it a dozen times this afternoon and it appears to be working fine now. I guess I won't find out how much better fuel economy I could get now unless I switch over to all LED lights.