Join Today
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Weird Battery Tender Issue

Man, it's been a while since I've been on. I feel like a newb.

So I'm getting things going for the spring, and went out the other day and put a tender (Battery Tender Junior, to be precise) on the bike. I don't really have an excuse as to why I didn't have one on it all winter. I just never connected it. At any rate, I put the tender on it overnight, and the next afternoon, I went out to look at it and it was still red. I thought that was odd, but not unheard of, especially if the battery had gone down a lot over the winter. So I connected my bigger "regular" Battery Tender tender (as opposed to junior). That was last night. This morning I checked it again and it was still red. So I grabbed a meter and put it on the battery and it read 12.5, and 14.5 when running. Those numbers seem fine to me. So I tried a third different tender. Still red. Now I'm at the "what's going on" point. Any thoughts? Three different tenders eliminates them as the problem, in my book. But my meter says all is well. I'm lost.

Oh, and the bike turns over and starts just fine.
    Black 2010 GL1800

The battery tender junior is only a .75 amp charge rate. It does take quite a while for it bring weak battery up. The fact that your regular tender still had not charged it points to a bad battery. When you see the 12.5 volts, that's the top charge of the battery. Not really an indication of battery voltage under load. 14.5 volts is the output of the alternator, not the battery voltage.
    A good way to check the battery is to connect your meter and crank the bike. You don't list the year of the bike but if it's a 2001 or newer, turn the throttle wide open while cranking. The bike will not start and you will see how low the voltage goes. If it falls lower than 10 volts, the battery is on it's way out.
    2012 Pearl White

I hope not. That will pi$$ me off. That battery is only a year old.
    Black 2010 GL1800

Well, I did a load test. I turned it over for probably 20+ seconds, and it never dipped below 10.59.

When I turned on the ignition, it dipped below 10, but not while it was cranking.
    Black 2010 GL1800