Join Today
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

My other rides....

2008 Harley Davidson edition Ford F-250 and matching 2008 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic.

I still put more miles on my old 96 GL1500SE than the other two combined.
    Attached Images Attached Images

daveo

Re: My other rides....

I'm curious, what possessed you to get the harley? What different quality's appealed to you?

I wanted to try a harley myself, but the Misses wanted the wing. So I got anther wing.

A bit of a long story...but here goes. I was on vacation in Colorado with my wife and just kicking around, happened to pull through a Ford dealership and the HD F250 caught my eye. After several offers, we were unable to reach an agreeable deal, so vacation ended and I traveled back to Washington to return to work. A week or so later, the black beauty was still gnawing at my brain stem, so I called the dealer to see if it was still on the lot. It was...so I upped my offer a bit and they countered. We struck a deal, and I ended up with the pickup. Then I started checking out the HD bikes that were also 105th anniversary editions with complimentary paint schemes (bronze with black rather than the truck's black with bronze). The look and the collectability grew on me and so I started casually looking, more interest than intent to buy. My wife and i were kicking around here one sunny weekend and decided to stop in to the HD dealership...something we never do...and there it was. The perfect compliment to my F250. I threw out an offer on the HD that I thought would never fly (new front tire, new antennae, new pipes, and a new big-bore kit) for $500 less than they were asking. I never dreamed they would take me up on it, but they did...so now I have a 'Wing and an Ultra Classic. In a nutshell, I have a Harley because of the F250, not because of any attributes or qualities other than it being a companion 105th anniversary edition.

Since you were at one time interested in getting a HD, I will provide a comparison of the two bikes from a rider's perspective...remember, these are only my opinions and someone else might think the opposite. First, I'll address all the things I like better about the 'Wing vis a vis the HD.

I much prefer the positioning and operation of the hand controls on the 'Wing including handlebar controls and sound system/CB/etc. controls...especially at night and with gloves on. I prefer the fixed fairing in both looks and functionality. I prefer the smoothness and power of the 6 cylinder engine. The passenger's foot position is better since there is no interference with the saddlebag roll bars as on the HD, and the passenger's footrest height adjustment is nice. There is more roominess for the passenger on the 'Wing front to back, which is better in summer, worse in winter from a heat/comfort perspective. In the summer, the 'Wing doesn't have heating issues of the HD...either from the mechanical perspective (water cooled with electric fans), and from a riders comfort perspective at stoplights. I very much prefer the kickstand in its ease of operation and more upright parked position. I prefer the driveshaft (vs. the drive belt), the positioning and view provided by the rear view mirrors, and the availability of a center stand.

Now for what I prefer about the HD. The Harley's rider foot position and seat are more comfortable (although the handlebars could be an inch or two further up and back). The position and operation of the foot controls are VASTLY superior on the HD (compared to the aftermarket floorboards/controls on the 'Wing). The lumbar support for the passenger (according to my wife) is better on the HD. The steering requires much less effort on the HD which makes it easier to maneuver at any speed and it feels lighter even though dry weight is only 1 lb. less. The lower center of gravity and the lower seat position make slow speeds and stops much easier and sure, especially when stopping on uneven ground. The weight of the passenger is easier to manage somehow on the HD...I'd guess the passenger seat position to be lower - I don't know that to be true, just my impression. I prefer the HD's 6 speed transmission (although the first gear should have a lower ratio, then step evenly to the 6th gear). I prefer having the foot pedal operate only the back brake and the handlebar brake only the front. I'm not sure if I like the ABS or not. I like the standard theft protection on the Ultra Classic model. Although I haven't done much wrenching on the HD yet, what I have done was easier since I didn't have to remove a gazillion pieces of tupperware to get down to the bike. Lastly, I like the sound of the Harley engine primarily from a safety perspective...people know I'm there even if they can't see me.

daveo

Wow! Thanks very much! A great story! You've covered just about everything!

It's not that I don't like the wing, it's just that I've never owned or even ridden a harley. One of those bucket list
    things I've always wanted to do.

Daveo

I've always been intrigued by Harleys, but it's always to look and the sound that intrigue me. I'm not into looks so much when it comes to motorcycles. I'm more concerned about the ride. I've ridden several Harleys, but just can't justify the compromises I'd have to make, whether it be comfort, power, handling, etc.

I hope that people who prefer Harleys keep buying them. I'm a stockholder, and Harley has made be a fair chunk of change.

Your Harley looks like a nice ride!
    2005 Silver GL 1800
    Mic-O-Pegs
    Muth mirrors
    Tulsa Tall
    Corbin seat
    Headlight and tail light modulators
    Rosewood dash

Thank you. I just passed the 1000 mile mark this past weekend, and the differences between the bikes are becoming even more apparent. As Warprints says, there are compromises for sure...each has advantages over the other. When I have 5 or 10K miles on the HD, I will post any new observations or underscore differences that have become an annoyance.

Stay tuned ;D

bofus

This is my other ride. It's a 2012 Suzuki V Strom 650.......Much different than the Wing, but a lot of fun to ride. 65 MPG to boot.
    2010 Goldwing
    2012 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2011 Aspen Sentry camp trailer
    2009 Aluma cargo trailer

My first motorcycle was a Suzuki 500 Titan. I wish I still had it...it was a fun ride too.

[img][/img]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The Reg