Join Today
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Why is shipping to the UK so expensive?

If I wish to spend $100 - $200 on 'bits' - it will usually cost another 50% to get it shipped - $100 turns into $150 - $200 turns into $300!! - THAT MAKES IT TOO EXPENSIVE TO BUY! you guys have gotta come up with a less expensive option - time is NOT (usually) of the essence when spending silly money on shipping

Re: Why is shipping to the UK so expensive?

I feel your pain. You can get free shipping within the US and I can see the US from a local beach. But to get there it cost me $140 return ferry ride, +gas, +food and you have to stay 48hours to get your $400 duty free. And if you are over you could face 12% tax. I ask for cheaper shipping as you said that time is not usually of the essence but they incist on the more expensive maybe for tracking and insurance reasons. And if they ship it UPS or Fedex you get ripped off with their "brokerage fees" which =40% of declared value. What a scam!

I don't know what the answer is but if someone knows of one, I'll gladly listen.

Rant over.
    03 Goldwing Black
    05 ST1300 Red

Shipping to the UK is simply EXPENSIVE, and, it always has been.
    Even USPS have increased their prices this year.

Dont forget to ADD the UK import duty +6%, and then VAT at 20%, and then, as if thats not enough, the Royal Mail/ParcelForce will also add their fee too - approx 14 or $20USdollars !!

Also - if you buy from a US dealer you dont get the same after sales service as you do when you buy in the UK.
    The UK has all sorts of rules that protect the buyer - such as -
    Sale of Goods Act
    Statutory Rights
    Goods must be "Fit for Purpose" (alot of the US chrome on aluminium items maybe wouldnt be classed as 'fit for purpose' here in the UK. It eventually peels off, I've experienced it myself!)
    etc etc

Thats probably why the stuff costs more over here (thats what the UK dealers say anyway )

IF you do find a cheap way to ship goods, please let us all know
    [url]www.winginit.org[/url]
    Winging since 1998
    over 260,000 miles ridden
    Current bike 2014 Candy RED

[quote author=Winginit link=topic=64.msg951#msg951 date=1335130534]
    Shipping to the UK is simply EXPENSIVE, and, it always has been.
    Even USPS have increased their prices this year.

Dont forget to ADD the UK import duty +6%, and then VAT at 20%, and then, as if thats not enough, the Royal Mail/ParcelForce will also add their fee too - approx 14 or $20USdollars !!
    [/quote]We have the same problem here in Australia. I have ordered around US$5,000 accessories from the US over the last year and about $1,200 of that was shipment cost. Most US retailers don't give you a choice of shipping company to use, you're pretty much stuck with FedEx.

One good thing though with us is that our governments have a free trade agreement in place so for all goods ordered from the US up to AU$1,000 is exempt from any taxes and duties. It still hurts having to pay about 25% of the value for shipping, but in our case it mostly works out to be a lot cheaper than buying from a local retailer. Local retailers tend to rip people off with the same ".. you get local support in case of a claim..." nonsense. So far I've only had issues with 2 items that I've ordered and that cost me a bit to send back, but I had no problems getting a full refund on anything that I've sent back.

In general buying electronic stuff from overseas is not a good idea unless it is so much cheaper compared to local prices to make it worth taking the risk. Anything else should be fine and rarely have problems, so the risk is low.

I generally consider the odds of an item being damaged or not working/fitting properly (and reading a lot of reviews) before I order from overseas. If you also take into account the reputaion of the company you're dealing with, then I have found that all things being equal, I still save a lot of money compared to buying local.

If you try to do the right thing to support the local economy by buying from a local business and his price is more than double the US retail price and the owner tells you the same old "... you get local support ...." and many other excuses and refuses to give any discount when you're about to spend a lot of money, that is when I turn to US retailers. Bottom line, it is my hard earned money and I get to choose when, where and on what I spend it. :P

I have to agree.

I worked out that approx 30% of the money I pay to Wingstuff for products relates to shipping to Australia and I see that as 30% more I have to spend on product not shipping. I've suggested a slow/snail mail approach should be an option.

In the meantime, my brother-in-law lives in the US and now I get stuff shipped to him (for free) and then he posts it to me and it's cheaper. I basically have to make a decision when I buy as to how quickly I want to receive my purchases. I just pay the shipping costs into his Aussie bank account and we're all good.

As for supporting local - I'm all for it as long as I don't feel I'm being screwed. Point in case recently being tyres. I got quoted AU$640 for front and rear Metzlers for my GL1800 + AU$120 for fitting. That's a whopping AU$760. I've just bought the exact same tyres from the US for AU$405 inclusive shipping to Perth, Australia and the same bloke in Perth is going to fit the tyres for me for $120. That's just insane !

My view is, like everything else you buy, do your research, consider the risks because it's not always about price, and make an informed decision.

Cowz

Cowz,
    Perth, WA, Australia

I wanted to buy a couple of GL1800 maintenance DVDs from the US until I was asked for more than $60 for postage. That price simply cannot be justified in any way.