Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shift Points

Shift Points

The 2004 GL1800 owners manual publishes the following shift points:
    1st to 2nd 12mph
    2nd to 3rd 19 mph
    3rd to 4th 25 mph
    4th to OD 31 mph

Shifting down from OD to 4th at 22 and 4th to third at 16mph.

Seeing this provoked a couple of thoughts. The first is that if you up and down shift at all it must be pretty near impossible to lug the transmission. They're saying you can ride OD from 23 MPH all the way up! The second thought is that this chart in no way matches the way I ride the bike. Shifting out of 3rd at 25? For me that's 45 or so. Huh? OD at 31? That's 70 and above. I couldn't image driving in the neighborhood in OD.

The one thing I do believe about the chart is getting out of first. I know on my bike, if I try to ride first beyond 10mph or so (which happens when I'm riding with those darned Harleys and get wrapped up in the sound of their exhaust ;D ) I'm lucky to get it out of first gear at all.

I'm going to play with these shift points and see what happens. I bet that means shifting at around 1000 rpm or so instead of 3000 rpm which is typical now.

Re: Shift Points

Not anywhere near my shifting at 4,000 - 4,500 RPM. 130,000 miles with normal maintenance.
    2004 GL 1800
    2004 Bushtec Quantum GL
    181,000 miles...all mine
    MSF RiderCoach #134890

Ride, eat, sleep and repeat...if only it was that easy!

daveo

I wish Fred H. would chime in here. I rode mine shifting about 1500 rpm and had all kinds of quirky, clunky shifts. It just didn't work out well. When I changed to 2500-3000rpm everything got better.

I just posted a reply on second gear problem on 8-1 on the mechanical part of the forums. Each motorcycle is unique and has its own behavor pattern. My 1800 shifts real smooth at any rpm, my friends 1800 is picky about its shift points, and he is use to it. We have riden each others bikes and he admits my bike is much smoother to shift than his. He bought his bike new. That said, there is a lot of tolerance differance in parts from one trans to another when they are assembled new. A few thousands extra here or there can make a differance between smooth or stiff shifting, or how each gear engages. Greg at Justwings has found unfavorable runout on new transmission mainshafts and has rejected them. And manual transmissions tend to run a wider tollerance especially at the factory on any given day. It depends alot on the milling equipment and how many parts, gears or shafts each cutter head has milled before its changed out.

daveo

Why now, and why 1800's? Is the 1800 such a radical departure from other bullet proof honda designs? I've ridden honda's all my life, and have never seen the issues with shifting that the 1800 has brought out. Did quality control go downhill? Is that one of the reasons they moved goldwing assembly back to japan?

Daveo, quality control is down, just look at the recalls the 1800 has had. Not to mention all of the other vehicles that have had major recalls. Harley had a bearing problem in there first six speeds, the Triumph Rocket Three poor metalurgy in the timing sprockets droping the chain and dusting the head and pistons. BMW K1600 water pump, electrical and a possible shift, trans problem. The 1800 is still a fine motorcycle, but like any machine it is only as good as the people building it. Honda like anyother company today has an acceptable failure rate figured in to the profit and loss side of business. Also the fact we are seeing alot more people riding than ever before, plus the forums more info from owners that wasnt there before. But the 1800 will still motor more miles than all the other bikes. As for the move to Japan, only the top people at Honda know and there not talking.

daveo

Don't get me wrong, I love my bike! I haven't seen any of the issues that seem to plague other riders, but then I've adapted to the bike, I've learned that soft toe shoes effect the shifting, correct engine RPM and clutch action as well. I can make it shift butter smooth if I follow the rules. I rode a friends 04 and he rode my 08. Funny thing, He thought mine shifted better and I thought his shifted better. How's that for perception?

I shift mine at about 2500 rpms, drops it down to 2000 then up we go again.
    My 08 likes the 2500 range, purrs and can roll on accelerate very nicely from there.
    Marc in Sunny California

2008 GL1800 for me
    2005 Kawasaki Ninja 250 for the girls

I'd like to hear whether others have issues getting out of first gear if you run it out. If I shift out of first at low speed, low rpm, and low power, the shift is smooth. If I'm really trying to get off the line fast, or am in a situation where I just want to stretch first gear, the shift is loud, clunky, and can result in a shift into neutral instead of 2nd.

[quote author=mmartin_tdc link=topic=833.msg5675#msg5675 date=1344055333]
    I shift mine at about 2500 rpms, drops it down to 2000 then up we go again.
    My 08 likes the 2500 range, purrs and can roll on accelerate very nicely from there.
    [/quote]

Ditto...2500, then up a gear works for me and seems to be the sweet spot.
    A